Sunday, April 25, 2010

Reading Response: "Graphic Design"

To be honest, I'm not really sure what the point of this reading was. It didn't tell me anything I didn't know. Actually, I'm not sure it told me much of anything at all. It was all about diagrams, which really means it was almost all diagrams with a little bit of text that said, "These are diagrams!" Naw, really? Remind me why I paid so much for this book to read one chapter with almost no information in it at all.

I probably shouldn't be so bitter. I should say something intellectual. I just didn't find anything intellectually stimulating in the book.

This was assigned to correspond with the module when we made cultural maps, so maybe I'll talk about that instead. We had to make a map of our cultural influences. "Map" was a very loose term here, and I guess some of the stranger diagrams in this chapter were supposed to help tweak our imaginations on what a map could be. Since I'm obsessed with the Muppets, I wanted to make my map into a puppetry scene, with hand puppets and puppeteers for cultural influences. Then, since it's so complex, I would have puppets puppeteering puppets, and puppeteers puppeteering multiple puppets, and multiple puppeteers puppeteering single puppets (who of course would be puppeteering puppets that were also puppeteered by other puppets and so on and so forth and are you dizzy yet?). But the bottom line is, it was all just too complicated to draw with hand puppets.

So I used marionettes. Strings make everything easier... and more tangled.

No comments:

Post a Comment